Law Enforcement is a broad and unique field, requiring a certain blend of personality characteristics to be successful. With the growing impact of technology in law enforcement and the limitations of government budgets, it is more important now than ever to ensure you are hiring the people who will succeed in law enforcement roles. AAI has developed the Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory, a personality assessment specifically designed to measure the key personality traits relevant to work in law enforcement.
- The AAI Advantage
The Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory is a tool that assesses individuals across sixteen personality dimensions critical to success in law enforcement roles. A primary use is to determine whether a job applicant or employee will demonstrate:
- Assertiveness when speaking with citizens
- Cooperation with other officers or citizens
- Consideration and diplomacy when speaking with others
- Control over their emotions and actions
- Attention to details and events and flexible decision making
- High initiative and integrity
It is used in settings such as:
- Pre-employment Screening – the Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory can be used as a cost-effective way to screen out candidates from large application pools.
- Selection — the Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory is used to identify job applicants who exemplify key personality traits that drive job success in law enforcement roles.
- Development — the Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory can be used in development to identify the strengths and potential areas for improvement among current or newly hired employees.
- Team Effectiveness – the Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory can be used with entire teams to identify the strengths and potential areas for improvement for the whole team in order to provide better overall service to the community.
- Quick and easy to administer
- Screen large applicant pools
- Identify applicants who exemplify law enforcement characteristics
- Improve the quality of job hires
- Improve the performance of employees and teams
- Improve relations with the community
- Customizable. AAI has the ability to tailor the Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory to the needs of your organization. This can involve adding or subtracting specific personality scales as well as norming scores to your organization to better identify those who will be successful in your unique culture. An additional scale that has been developed for law enforcement roles such as Conservation Officers in the Department of Natural Resources focuses on an individual’s inclination toward working outdoors.
- Job Relevant. It is specifically designed to measure key personality traits relevant to transportation-type positions and can predict people who are likely to be assertive, diplomatic, and display high integrity.
- Fit. Optimizes the fit between people and position or law enforcement requirements specific to the role or organization.
- Cost. Reduces the cost of assessing internal or external candidates for job opportunities and roles.
- Valid & Reliable. The Law Enforcement Work Styles Inventory has been validated for measuring the underlying constructs, is highly reliable, especially when compared to other personality tests, and is legally defensible.